Men's Soccer Completes Second-Half Comeback Against Shock

Men's Soccer Completes Second-Half Comeback Against Shock

Written by Sean Dahlin

BUENA VISTA, Va.−The Southern Virginia men's soccer team scored three second-half goals on Tuesday on route to a thrilling 4-2 comeback victory over USCAA-rival Washington Adventist University.

"We struggled to get the ball past their midfielders in the first half," said sixth-year Head Coach Tony Caputo. "The adjustments our players made in the second half to come back and win this game says a lot about the character of our team."

Southern Virginia (3-2) trailed Washington Adventist (1-2) at intermission 2-1, despite both teams finishing the first half with 8 total shots. The Knights dominated possession following halftime, however, outshooting the Shock 14-4 over the final 45 minutes.

Nathaniel Sellis (Taylorsville, Utah) led the second-half attack for the Knights as the junior bent a corner kick into the top of the net in the 53rd minute followed shortly thereafter by a breakaway goal at the 57:10 mark from senior Adam Freeman (Marion, Va.) giving Southern Virginia its first lead of the match. Freeman now has a team-leading 4 goals and 11 points on the season.

Southern Virginia's fourth and final goal came just over two minutes before time expired (87:43) when Kyle Tyree (Williamsburg, Va.) put the ball past Shock goalie Daniel Olofinsua on a deflected pass from junior Nathan Seeberger (Forest, Va.).

Along with turning up the heat offensively in the second half, Southern Virginia also cranked up its defense holding Washington Adventist scoreless from the 40-minute mark on highlighted by a match-high six saves for  Robert Key (Flower Mound, Texas).   

Near the start of regulation, the home crowd was caught off-guard as Shock forward Christian Wright scored in the 17th minute putting the visitors ahead 1-0. Southern Virginia, however, struck back one minute later as Freeman sent a touch pass to Sellis who netted his first of two goals on the day evening the score at 1-1.

Washington Adventist's Dexter Kelly added the Shock's second goal 20 minutes later giving the visitor's a suprising half-time lead.

"Beating a solid team like Washington Adventist at home and having a winning record gets us back on track towards reaching our goal of making the national tournament," said Caputo.

Men's soccer will play its fourth game in six days on Thursday, Sept. 13, when the Knights travel to Washington, D.C. where they will face North Eastern Athletic Conference-member Gallaudet University at 7 p.m.