By Daniel Whitehead
BUENA VISTA, Va. –Continuing competition in the Capital Athletic Conference, the Southern Virginia University women's tennis team faced St. Mary's College less than a day after competing at Salisbury and fell to the Seahawks, 6-3, Saturday afternoon at The Fields in Buena Vista, Va.
Beginning with doubles competition, Southern Virginia's tandem of Kirsten Laurence and Katelynn Tlustek was defeated by SMC, 8-1, before the Knights' Lauren Morrison and Micah Roberts rallied for an 8-5 win over Lauren Rost and Mollie Johnson of St. Mary's to tie the score at 1-1.
In singles play, Laurence was beat by SMC's Shannon Ramsey in straight sets before Morrison handled her Seahawk opponent, Emily Stumpfig, by a 6-4, 3-6, 10-6 count. The Knights' Micah Roberts and Tlustek were defeated in singles action before Evans picked up Southern Virginia's final point by defeating Mollie Johson, 6-4, 6-4.
Stollenwerk was defeated by SMC's Kayla Baier to close the match with a 6-3 Seahawk victory.
The Knights next compete Friday at league foe Penn State Harrisburg with a 3:30 p.m. start time.
St. Mary's (Md.) 6, Southern Virginia University 3
1. Shannon Ramsey (SMC) def. Kirsten Laurence (SVUW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Lauren Morrison (SVUW) def. Emily Stumpfig (SMC) 6-4, 3-6, 10-6
3. Lauren Rost (SMC) def. Micah Roberts (SVUW) 6-0, 6-1
4. Emily Rost (SMC) def. Katelynn Tlustek (SVUW) 7-5, 6-3
5. Anna Evans (SVUW) def. Mollie Johnson (SMC) 6-4, 6-4
6. Kayla Baier (SMC) def. Kari Stollenwerk (SVUW) 6-4, 6-1
1. Shannon Ramsey/Emily Stumpfig (SMC) def. Kirsten Laurence/Katelynn Tlustek (SVUW) 8-1
2. Lauren Morrison/Micah Roberts (SVUW) def. Lauren Rost/Mollie Johnson (SMC) 8-5
3. Emily Rost/Kayla Baier (SMC) def. Anna Evans/Kari Stollenwerk (SVUW) 8-5