By Wesley Evans
BUENA VISTA, Va. –The Southern Virginia University women's tennis team extended its winning streak as it defeated visiting NCAA Division II member Virginia Union University, 6-3, Wednesday evening at The Fields.
In doubles competition, Micah Roberts and Lauren Morrison won a tightly contested match at the No. 2 doubles as they defeated Deja Shabazz and Katrina Joe, 9-8 (7-3). Anna Evans and Kari Stollenwerk took care of their opponents easily, not losing a game as they won, 8-0. At No. 1 doubles, the Knights' Kirsten Laurence and Katelynn Tlustek fell in a close 8-6 decision.
In singles play, Virginia Union's Kiara Miller and Deja Shabazz won in straight sets at No. 1 and No. 4 against Morrison and Evans.
In the No. 2 spot, Laurence edged out the Panthers' Ellie Parsons in a back-and-forth battle. The Bountiful, Utah, native came away with a 7-6 (16-14) victory in the first set before falling 3-6 in the second. In the tiebreaker session, Laurence pulled away winning 10-6 to take the match.
The Knights' Roberts, Stollenwerk and first-year player Shannon Romito all came away with singles victories, helping Southern Virginia to the win.
The Knights improve to 6-9 on the season, while Virginia Union drops to 1-8.
Women's tennis will look to extend its win streak Friday as it travels to Capital Athletic Conference leader Salisbury University (6-5, 2-0 CAC). Start time is scheduled for 2 pm.
Southern Virginia University 6, Virginia Union 3
1. Kiara Miller (VU) def. Lauren Morrison (SVUW) 6-2, 6-2
2. Kirsten Laurence (SVUW) def. Ellie Parsons (VU) 7-6 (16-14), 3-6, 10-6
3. Micah Roberts (SVUW) def. Katrina Joe (VU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Deja Shabazz (VU) def. Anna Evans (SVUW) 6-0, 6-1
5. Shannon Romito (SVUW) def. Christionne Taylor (VU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Kari Stollenwerk (SVUW) def. DeJamine Byrson (VU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kiara Miller/Ellie Parsons (VU) def. Kirsten Laurence/Katelynn Tlustek (SVUW) 8-6
2. Micah Roberts/Lauren Morrison (SVUW) def. Deja Shabazz/Katrina Joe (VU) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Anna Evans/Kari Stollenwerk (SVUW) def. Christionne Taylor/DeJamine Byrson (VU) 8-0