By Laura Tome
BUENA VISTA, Va.—Stepping out of conference play, the Southern Virginia University women's tennis team hosted ODAC member Shenandoah University Wednesday afternoon and suffered an 8-1 loss Wednesday evening at The Fields in Buena Vista, Va.
Doubles partners Lauren Morrison and Kristen Laurence fell 8-1 to Molly
Barb and Amy Rapp. Partners Micah Roberts and Katelynn Tlustek defeated Rachel Gross and Amber Lake 8-4, while Southern Virginia's Anna Evans and Kari Stollenwerk fell 8-1 to Caitlin Tilton and Cierra Neidermeyer.
In singles play, Morrison fell to Shenandoah's Barb by a 6-2, 6-2 score, while Laurence dropped a matchup with Rapp, 6-0, 7-5. Roberts fell 6-0, 6-1 to Gross before Tlustek dropped her match to Lake by 6-1, 6-2. Evans battled with Alayna
McEathron on the first set 6-3, but lost 6-2 and 10-0 in the tiebreaker. Kari Stollenwerk was defeated 6-3, 6-2 to close the meet.
Women's tennis next competes on Friday, Mar. 21, at Mary Baldwin. The match is slated to begin at 3:00 p.m. in Staunton, Va.
Tennis Match Results
Shenandoah Hornets 8, Southern Virginia University 1
1. Molly Barb (SUW) def. Lauren Morrison (SVUW) 6-2, 6-2
2. Amy Rapp (SUW) def. Kirsten Laurence (SVUW) 6-1, 7-5
3. Rachel Gross (SUW) def. Micah Roberts (SVUW) 6-0, 6-2
4. Amber Lake (SUW) def. Katelynn Tlustek (SVUW) 6-1, 6-2
5. Alayna McEathron (SUW) def. Anna Evans (SVUW) 3-6, 6-2, 10-0
6. Caitlin Tilton (SUW) def. Kari Stollenwerk (SVUW) 6-2, 6-2
1. Molly Barb/Amy Rapp (SUW) def. Lauren Morrison/Kirsten Laurence (SVUW) 8-1
2. Micah Roberts/Katelynn Tlustek (SVUW) def. Rachel Gross/Amber Lake (SUW) 8-4
3. Caitlin Tilton/Cierra Neidermeyer (SUW) def. Anna Evans/Kari Stollenwerk (SVUW) 8-1
Shenandoah Hornets 4-1
Southern Virginia University 2-7