By Daniel Whitehead
BUENA VISTA, Va.—Playing a dual meet at home for the first time in several years, the Southern Virginia University women's tennis team fell to visiting Randolph-Macon College Saturday morning, 6-0, on its brand new tennis courts at The Fields in Buena Vista, Va.
The event opened with doubles competition as all three Southern Virginia duos were defeated. Lauren Morrison and Katelynn Tlustek fell to RMC's Angelina Sportelli and Toni McDonald, 8-2, before Micah Roberts and Kirsten Laurence were defeated by their opposing pair. Freshmen Anna Evans and Kari Stollenwerk fell in a hard-fought 8-3 battle to RMC duo Caty-Betz Holcomb and Melissa Tomlin.
In singles play, only the top three individuals were chosen to face off from each team as Randolph-Macon clinched the deciding fifth point and had to exit early to play a match at another university.
Morrison fell to RMC's Sportelli by a 6-0, 6-2 score while Tlustek dropped a matchup with RMC's Kelsie Grice, 6-0, 6-0. Toni McDonald of Randolph-Macon defeated Southern Virginia's Micah Roberts, 6-1, 6-2 to close the meet.
Tennis Match Results
Randolph-Macon vs Southern Virginia University
Mar 01, 2014 at Buena Vista, Va.
Randolph-Macon 6, Southern Virginia University 0
1. Angelina Sportelli (RMC) def. Lauren Morrison (SVUW) 6-0, 6-2
2. Kelsie Grice (RMC) def. Katelynn Tlustek (SVUW) 6-0, 6-0
3. Toni McDonald (RMC) def. Micah Roberts (SVUW) 6-1, 6-2
1. Angelina Sportelli/Toni McDonald (RMC) def. Lauren Morrison/Katelynn Tlustek (SVUW) 8-2
2. Olayemisi Ogunshina/Kelsie Grice (RMC) def. Micah Roberts/Kirsten Laurence (SVUW) 8-1
3. Caty-Betz Holcomb/Melissa Tomlin (RMC) def. Anna Evans/Kari Stollenwerk (SVUW) 8-3
Southern Virginia University 1-4