By Wesley Evans
BUENA VISTA, Va.—The Southern Virginia University men's tennis team earned its fourth straight victory Tuesday afternoon, defeating Capital Athletic Conference opponent Frostburg State University Wednesday afternoon at The Fields.
The Knights have now won six of their past seven matches and finish the year 4-3 in league play, which would have placed them in fourth place in conference and acceptance to CAC postseason play if it were not for the university's NCAA provisional status.
The Knights are eligible to qualify for postseason play beginning the 2014-15 season.
In doubles competition, Southern Virginia took two of the three matches as freshmen Cooper Brown and Zac Bowers earned a dominating 8-0 win, while brothers Adam and Brian Blocher teamed up to also take an 8-0 victory at the No. 3 spot.
In singles play, the Knights came away with five of the six matches. Ravisankar dropped his No. 1 match to Brandon Hall, but Evans, Brown, Bowers, A. Blocher and B. Blocher all picked up victories in straight sets.
Southern Virginia improves to 10-8 on the season while the Bobcats fall to 4-9.
Men's tennis has one night of rest before it competes in its final match of the season Thursday afternoon, hosting Shenandoah University in a nonconference matchup. The first serve is scheduled to take place at 4 p.m. at The Fields.
Southern Virginia 7, Frostburg State 2
1. Brandon Hall (FSU) def. Pradeep Ravisankar (SVU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Dallin Evans (SVU) def. Kenneth Alban (FSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Cooper Brown (SVU) def. Colin Christian (FSU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Zac Bowers (SVU) def. Arun Pant (FSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Adam Blocher (SVU) def. Dangran Zhu (FSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Brian Blocher (SVU) def. Brandon Holmes (FSU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Brandon Hall/Kenneth Alban (FSU) def. Pradeep Ravisankar/Dallin Evans (SVU) 8-1
2. Cooper Brown/Zac Bowers (SVU) def. Colin Christian/Arun Pant (FSU) 8-0
3. Adam Blocher/Brian Blocher (SVU) def. Zawdie Coke/Gilbert Kim (FSU) 8-0