By Daniel Whitehead
BUENA VISTA, Va.–Down 4-2 midway through its match with league foe St. Mary's College, the Southern Virginia University men's tennis team rallied for three consecutive singles victories to earn its first ever Capital Athletic Conference win, 5-4, Saturday afternoon at The Fields in Buena Vista, Va.
For the deciding fifth point, Brian Blocher topped St. Mary's' Nick Ersoy in exciting fashion as both sets needed tiebreakers to get the win. Blocher won the first set, 7-6, with a 10-8 tiebreaker before earning the second set, 7-6, with a 7-2 tiebreaker.
Seahawks Andrew Gear and Mark Hardesty earned respective singles victories over Pradeep Ravisankar (6-0, 6-0) and Dallin Evans (6-3, 6-2). Southern Virginia's Cooper Brown earned an important singles win with a 6-3, 6-0 defeat of SMC's Jay Guzzone.
In doubles play, Seahawks Gear and Hardesty defeated freshman towers Brown and Bowers, 8-3, to open the match before Guzzone and Bishop earned a win over Knights Ravisankar and A. Blocher by an 8-4 score.
Southern Virginia's Evans and B. Blocher defeated SMC's Paulishak and Ersoy, 8-2, to close doubles competition.
The Knights return to action Wednesday with a home match against Shenandoah slated for a 3:30 start time at The Fields.
Southern Virginia 5, St. Mary's (Md.) 4
1. Andrew Gear (SMC) def. Pradeep Ravisankar (SVU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Mark Hardesty (SMC) def. Dallin Evans (SVU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Cooper Brown (SVU) def. Jay Guzzone (SMC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Zac Bowers (SVU) def. Robert Bishop (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Adam Blocher (SVU) def. Wyatt Paulishak (SMC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Brian Blocher (SVU) def. Nick Ersoy (SMC) 7-6 (10-8), 7-6 (7-2)
1. Andrew Gear/Mark Hardesty (SMC) def. Cooper Brown/Zac Bowers (SVU) 8-3
2. Jay Guzzone/Robert Bishop (SMC) def. Pradeep Ravisankar/Adam Blocher (SVU) 8-4
3. Dallin Evans/Brian Blocher (SVU) def. Wyatt Paulishak/Nick Ersoy (SMC) 8-2