By Wesley Evans
BUENA VISTA, Va. –The Southern Virginia University men's tennis team gained a solid 6-3 victory over visiting NCAA Division II member Virginia Union University on Wednesday evening at The Fields.
In doubles competition, freshmen Cooper Brown and Zac Bowers did not drop a game as they won at No. 2 doubles by an 8-0 margin. Brothers Adam and Brian Blocher teamed up to take care of their opponents and earn an 8-2 victory, while Pradeep Ravisankar and Dallin Evans fell at the No. 1 doubles, 8-4.
In singles play, Evans and Phillip Fly both fell in straight sets at No. 1 and 6 singles, respectively. Brown, Bowers and the Blocher brothers all swept their opponents in straight sets to help the Knights get the victory.
The Knights improve to 6-7 on the season while Virginia Union falls to 2-7.
Men's tennis will look to continue its winning ways on Friday as it takes on Capital Athletic Conference leader Salisbury University (7-2, 2-0 CAC) in Salisbury, Md. The first serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Southern Virginia 6, Virginia Union 3
1. Anthony Michael (VU) def. Dallin Evans (SVU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Cooper Brown (SVU) def. Jarvis Rideau (VU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Zac Bowers (SVU) def. Jaymes Berry (VU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Adam Blocher (SVU) def. Charles Sheets (VU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Brian Blocher (SVU) def. Kareem Burrows (VU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Terrence Malone (VU) def. Philip Fly (SVU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Anthony Michael/Jarvis Rideau (VU) def. Pradeep Ravisankar/Dallin Evans (SVU) 8-4
2. Cooper Brown/Zac Bowers (SVU) def. Jaymes Berry/Michael Smith (VU) 8-0
3. Adam Blocher/Brian Blocher (SVU) def. Charles Sheets/Terrence Malone (VU) 8-2