By Wesley Evans
BUENA VISTA, Va. –The Southern Virginia University men's tennis team gained a solid 6-3 victory over visiting Averett University on Tuesday evening at The Fields in Buena Vista, Va.
In doubles competition, freshmen towers Cooper Brown and Zac Bowers won at No. 2 doubles by an 8-1 margin. Brothers Adam and Brian Blocher teamed up to earn an 8-0 victory, while Pradeep Ravisankar and Dallin Evans fell at the No. 1 doubles, 8-5.
In singles play, Evans and Ravisankar both fell in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 1 and 2. At No. 3 singles, Brown came away with a thriller against his opponent, Kirill Baranov. The Kaysville, Utah native took the first set 6-4 before dropping the second 6-7 (2-4). Brown then stormed back to take the tiebreaker 10-6 to earn the win.
Bowers, A. Blocher and B. Blocher all swept their opponents in straight sets to help Southern Virginia take the match.
The Knights improve to 5-7 on the season while Averett falls to 2-9.
Men's tennis will look to continue its winning ways as it turns back around on Wednesday to take on NCAA Division II member Virginia Union University at The Fields. The first serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Southern Virginia 6, Averett 3
1. Alexander Terentiev (AUM) def. Pradeep Ravisankar (SVU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Nicolas Quevedo (AUM) def. Dallin Evans (SVU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Cooper Brown (SVU) def. Kirill Baranov (AUM) 6-4, 6-7 (2-4), 10-6
4. Zac Bowers (SVU) def. Julius Noreila (AUM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Adam Blocher (SVU) def. Aaron Westhusing (AUM) 6-3, 6-0
6. Brian Blocher (SVU) def. No player (AUM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Alexander Terentiev/Kirill Baranov (AUM) def. Pradeep Ravisankar/Dallin Evans (SVU) 8-5
2. Cooper Brown/Zac Bowers (SVU) def. Nicolas Quevedo/Aaron Westhusing (AUM) 8-1
3. Adam Blocher/Brian Blocher (SVU) def. No player/No player (AUM) 8-0