By Wesley Evans
BUENA VISTA, Va. –While fighting cold weather conditions on its home courts, the Southern Virginia University men's tennis team earned a 5-1 victory over Division III member Randolph College, avenging its previous loss to the Wildcats last fall.
The Knights were victorious in the three doubles matches, all of which were extremely close as they came away with wins of 8-6, 9-8(7-5), and 8-5 respectively.
In the singles matches, Junior Dallin Evans won a tightly contested battle against Randolph's JT von Seggern at the No. 2 singles. He lost the first set 1-6, but turned around and won the second set 7-5. In the tie-breaking match, Evans ran away with the victory obtaining a 10-6 advantage.
At the No. 3 singles, freshman Cooper Brown won in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-3 against the Wildcats' Doug Corbett .
Pradeep Ravisankar fell at the No. 1 singles 4-6, 6-3, 12-10.
Southern Virginia improves to 4-6 on the season while Randolph College falls to 4-5.
The men's tennis team is back in action this Thursday, March 27th as it hosts visiting Bluefield College.
Southern Virginia 5, Randolph 1
1. Daniil Lyalko (RANDM) def. Pradeep Ravisankar (SVU) 4-6, 6-3, 12-10
2. Dallin Evans (SVU) def. JT von Seggern (RANDM) 1-6, 7-5, 10-6
3. Cooper Brown (SVU) def. Doug Corbett (RANDM) 6-4, 6-3
4. Q Manglapus (RANDM) vs. Zac Bowers (SVU) no result
5. Dan Phung (RANDM) vs. Adam Blocher (SVU) no result
6. Zach Dales (RANDM) vs. Brian Blocher (SVU) no result
1. Pradeep Ravisankar/Dallin Evans (SVU) def. Daniil Lyalko/Doug Corbett (RANDM) 8-6
2. Cooper Brown/Zac Bowers (SVU) def. JT von Seggern/Q Manglapus (RANDM) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Adam Blocher/Brian Blocher (SVU) def. Dan Phung/Zach Dales (RANDM) 8-5