By Daniel Whitehead
BUENA VISTA, Va.—Hoping to get back on track with a victory, the Southern Virginia University men's tennis team accomplished the feat by defeating Ferrum College, 7-2, Thursday afternoon in Ferrum, Va.
The victory snapped a four-match losing skid for the Knights (3-5) as they won for the first time since a 7-2 victory at Emory & Henry on Oct. 2.
In doubles play, the Panthers struck first as Connor Moncure and Taylor Napier defeated the Knight tandem of Dallin Evans and Pradeep Ravisankar by an 8-1 score. Southern Virginia responded with two victories as freshmen Cooper Brown and Zac Bowers topped their foes, 8-5, before brothers Adam and Brian Blocher defeated the Panthers' Tyler Lee and Kevin Minter by an 8-1 tally.
Ferrum earned the first singles victory as Moncure beat Southern Virginia's Evans, 6-2, 7-5. Ravisankar then started a string a five straight Knight singles victories as he topped Ferrum's Napier in bonus play 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-2).
Brown then beat Ferrum's Danny Khuorn, 6-1, 6-0, while fellow freshman Bowers topped the Panthers' Garret Freese, 6-4, 6-2. The Blocher brothers were also victorious in singles action as Adam topped Ferrum's Tyler Lee, 6-1, 6-1, before Brian defeated the Panthers' Sam Belcher, 6-4, 7-6 (7-2).
Southern Virginia returns to action Saturday morning against Capital Athletic Conference opponent Christopher Newport. The matchup with the Captains is slated for an 11 a.m. start at The Fields in Buena Vista, Va.
Tennis Match Results
Southern Virginia vs Ferrum
Mar 20, 2014 at Ferrum, VA
Southern Virginia 7, Ferrum 2
1. Connor Moncure (FCM) def. Dallin Evans (SVU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Pradeep Ravisankar (SVU) def. Taylor Napier (FCM) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-2)
3. Cooper Brown (SVU) def. Danny Khuorn (FCM) 6-1, 6-0
4. Zac Bowers (SVU) def. Garret Freese (FCM) 6-4, 6-2
5. Adam Blocher (SVU) def. Tyler Lee (FCM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Brian Blocher (SVU) def. Sam Belcher (FCM) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
1. Connor Moncure/Taylor Napier (FCM) def. Dallin Evans/Pradeep Ravisankar (SVU) 8-1
2. Cooper Brown/Zac Bowers (SVU) def. Garret Freese/William Sharp (FCM) 8-5
3. Adam Blocher/Brian Blocher (SVU) def. Tyler Lee/Kevin Minter (FCM) 8-1