By Luke Christiansen
BUENA VISTA, Va.— Playing in its first Capital Athletic Conference appearance, the Southern Virginia University men's tennis team fell to nationally ranked University of Mary Washington last Saturday afternoon, 9-0, at The Fields in Buena Vista, Va.
During doubles competition, the Southern Virginia duos went 0-3 on the day. Brothers Adam and Brian Blocher fell 8-1 to UMW's Scott Buie and Alexander Cragg. Freshmen Cooper Brown and Zac Bowers fell 8-3 to UMW's Brandon Griffin and Andrew Curtis, while Pradeep Ravisankar and Dallin Evans dropped an 8-0 decision to UMW's Tyler Carey and Evan Charles.
In singles play, Pradeep Ravisankar fell to UMW's Tyler Carey by a 6-0, 6-0 score while Dallin Evans dropped a matchup with UMW's Stratton Gilmore, 6-1, 6-0. Alexander Blakhin of Mary Washington defeated Southern Virginia's Cooper Brown by 6-0, 6-4 score followed by UMW's Andrew Curtis defeating Zac Bower 6-2, 6-2. Adam Blocher fell 6-3, 6-0 to Scott Buie, and UMW's Alexander Cragg defeated Southern Virginia's Brian Blocher 6-3, 6-2 to close the meet.
Men's tennis next competes on Thursday, Mar. 20 at Ferrum College. The match is slated to begin at 3 p.m. in Ferrum, Va.
Tennis Match Results
University of Mary Washington vs Southern Virginia Mar 15, 2014 at Buena Vista, Va.
#17 University of Mary Washington 9, Southern Virginia 0
1. CAREY, Tyler (UMWMT) def. Pradeep Ravisankar (SVU) 6-0, 6-0
2. GILMORE, Stratton (UMWMT) def. Dallin Evans (SVU) 6-1, 6-0
3. BLAKHIN, Alexander (UMWMT) def. Cooper Brown (SVU) 6-0, 6-4
4. CURTIS, Andrew (UMWMT) def. Zac Bowers (SVU) 6-2, 6-2
5. BUIE, Scott (UMWMT) def. Adam Blocher (SVU) 6-3, 6-0
6. CRAGG, Alexander (UMWMT) def. Brian Blocher (SVU) 6-3, 6-2
1. CAREY, Tyler/CHARLES, Evan (UMWMT) def. Pradeep Ravisankar/Dallin Evans (SVU) 8-0
2. GRIFFIN, Brandon/CURTIS, Andrew (UMWMT) def. Cooper Brown/Zac Bowers (SVU) 8-3
3. BUIE, Scott/CRAGG, Alexander (UMWMT) def. Adam Blocher/Brian Blocher (SVU) 8-1
University of Mary Washington 11-2; National ranking #17 Southern Virginia 2-5