By Luke Christiansen
BUENA VISTA, Va.—Playing a dual meet at home for the first time in several years, the Southern Virginia University men's tennis team fell to visiting Randolph-Macon College Saturday morning, 5-1, on its brand new tennis courts at The Fields in Buena Vista, Va.
During doubles competition, the Southern Virginia duos went 1-2 on the day. Pradeep Ravisankar and Dallin Evans earned an 8-5 victory over RMC's Ryan Byrd and Michael Baxter. Freshmen Cooper Brown and Zac Bowers fell 8-4 to RMC's Brantley Stein and John Adam, while brothers Adam and Brian Blocher fell 8-3 to RMC's Connor Hoerr and Ira Usry.
In singles play, only the top three individuals were chosen to face off from each team as Randolph-Macon clinched the deciding fifth point and had to exit early to play a match at another university.
Pradeep Ravisankar fell to RMC's Ryan Byrd by a 6-1, 6-2 score while Dallin Evans dropped a matchup with RMC's Connor Hoerr, 6-3, 6-4. Michael Baxter of Randolph-Macon defeated Southern Virginia's Cooper Brown, 6-4, 6-2 to close the meet.
Men's tennis next competes on Monday, Mar. 10 at an away dual at Ferrum College. The match is slated to begin at 3 p.m. in Ferrum, Va.
Tennis Match Results
Randolph-Macon vs Southern Virginia University
Mar 01, 2014 at Buena Vista, Va.
Randolph-Macon 5, Southern Virginia University 1
1. Ryan Byrd (RMC) def. Pradeep Ravisankar (SVUM) 6-1, 6-2
2. Connor Hoerr (RMC) def. Dallin Evans (SVUM) 6-3, 6-4
3. Michael Baxter (RMC) def. Cooper Brown (SVUM) 6-4, 6-2
1. Pradeep Ravisankar/Dallan Evans (SVUM) def. Ryan Byrd/Michael Baxter (RMC) 8-5
2. Brantley Stein/John Adam (RMC) def. Cooper Brown/Zac Bowers (SVUM) 8-4
3. Connor Hoerr/Ira Usry (RMC) def. Adam Blocher/Brian Blocher (SVUM) 8-3
Match Notes:Randolph-Macon 2-1
Southern Virginia University 2-3