By Daniel Whitehead
LYNCHBURG, Va.—A dominant performance by the Southern Virginia University men's tennis team allowed the Knights to earn an 8-1 victory at Lynchburg College Tuesday afternoon in Lynchburg, Va.
With the win, Southern Virginia improves to 1-1 on the year while Lynchburg falls to 0-1.
"I was happy with today's win and thought we played really well for it being just our second dual of the season," said Southern Virginia head coach Tony Caputo. "To sweep the doubles matches and take all but one of the singles matches makes for a pretty good day. It was a good match in which we saw things we liked but also what we can improve on moving forward."
The doubles tandem of Pradeep Ravisankar and Dallin Evans defeated Lynchburg's Matt Karvelas and Josh Johnson by an 8-4 score before freshmen Cooper Brown and Zac Bowers combined to top LC's Andrew Link and Tyler Long by an 8-2 tally. Brian Blocher and Brennan Alford finished off the doubles matches with an 8-1 Southern Virginia win over Lynchburg's Blake Underwood and Tayler Tepper.
In singles play, Evans defeated LC's Link in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0, while Brown defeated his LC opponent, Josh Johnson, in two sets, 6-1, 7-5. Bowers, a freshman for Southern Virginia, defeated Long, 6-1, 6-4 before Blocher overcame Lynchburg's Underwood, 6-1, 6-0. Alford completed the singles action with an 8-1 victory over Lynchburg's Tepper.
Men's tennis will be back in action Wednesday when the team travels to Emory, Va., for a 3 p.m. match with Emory & Henry.
Southern Virginia 8, Lynchburg College 1
1. Matt Karvelas (LCM) def. Pradeep Ravisankar (SVU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Dallin Evans (SVU) def. Andrew Link (LCM) 6-0, 6-0
3. Cooper Brown (SVU) def. Josh Johnson (LCM) 6-1, 7-5
4. Zac Bowers (SVU) def. Tyler Long (LCM) 6-1, 6-4
5. Brian Blocher (SVU) def. Blake Underwood (LCM) 6-1, 6-0
6. Brennan Alford (SVU) def. Tayler Tepper (LCM) 8-1
1. Pradeep Ravisankar/Dallin Evans (SVU) def. Matt Karvelas/Josh Johnson (LCM) 8-4
2. Cooper Brown/Zac Bowers (SVU) def. Andrew Link/Tyler Long (LCM) 8-2
3. Brian Blocher/Brennan Alford (SVU) def. Blake Underwood/Tayler Tepper (LCM) 8-1