Win Streak Extended to Three Games in Comeback Victory over Gallaudet

Win Streak Extended to Three Games in Comeback Victory over Gallaudet

Written by Sean Dahlin

WASHINGTON, D.C.−After falling behind on an early goal from Gallaudet University, the Southern Virginia men's soccer team extended its winning streak to three games coming from behind on Thursday night to defeat the Bison 2-1.

"We came out sluggish and lost the momentum from Gallaudet in the beginning," said sixth-year Head Coach Tony Caputo. "But I credit our team for bouncing back and pressing on to earn a tough-fought victory on the road."

Southern Virginia (4-2) found itself in a hole early as midfielder Gabriel Carino took a loose ball in front of the net to score the first goal 12 minutes into the game to give Gallaudet (2-2) a 1-0 lead.

The second half was all Southern Virginia, however, dominating the time of possession and dictating most of the pace of the period while also outshooting Gallaudet 15-3 in the second period.

The resilient Knights made their second consecutive comeback win−defeating Washington Adventist on Tuesday 4-2 after trailing the Shock 2-1−as freshman Cullen Seifert (Provo, Utah) scored the game-winning goal at the 51:30 mark from a cross pass by fellow-freshman midfielder Cameron Walch (Sandy, Utah) to give Southern Virginia the one-goal lead at 2-1.

Neither team could capitalize on scoring opportunities in the final 39-plus minutes of regulation resulting in the Bison attempting to extend the match.  

The first goal for Southern Virginia came after neither side scored for 20-plus minutes following Gallaudet's first score before senior Ryan Foster (Custer, S.D.) made his third goal of the week−scoring two goals at Christendom College on Monday−at the 34:05 mark, taking a rebounded save by Bison goalie Eric Setzer from Southern Virginia teammate Adam Freeman's (Marion, Va.) shot and putting it in the back of the net to even the score 1-1.

Senior goal keeper Robert Key (Flower Mound, Texas) improved his record to 3-1 as he played all 90 minutes in front of the net and made four saves on the night.

"Winning all three games this week has turned our season around," said Caputo. "Having nine days off until next Saturday will give our players the needed time to recuperate and stay sharp as a team."

Men's soccer returns to action on as it travels to face fellow USCAA-member Ohio Midwestern on September 22, at 1 p.m.