Men's Basketball Earns Second Straight Victory

Men's Basketball Earns Second Straight Victory

By Laura Tome

BUENA VISTA, Va.—The Southern Virginia University men's basketball team ended the first half with a 12-point lead and expanded it to 19 points during the second half en route to an 85-72 victory over visiting Frostburg State Wednesday night at Knight Sports Arena.

The Knights (6-13) capitalized on charity points throughout the game as they went 31-45 from the free-throw line and finished shooting 43 percent overall for the game. The Bobcats (2-20) ended the game at 38 percent from the field, 17 percent from three-point range and 72 percent on free throws.

After trailing 38-26 at the half, the Bobcats were able to come within five points of taking the lead late in the game, but with two minutes left the Knights were able to convert 13 free throws and pull away for an 85-72 win.

Junior guard Preston Eaton led Southern Virginia with 20 points for the night, going 7-13 from the field, 1-2 from the arc and 5-7 from the stripe. Chris Baker trailed behind with 16 points on 4-9 shooting, 2-4 on threes and 6-9 on free throws. The Columbia, Md., native recorded seven rebounds and three assists.

Freshman Guard Michael Price contributed 13 points and was 5-5 from the field and went 3-4 on free throws. Coming off the bench, Kenrick Hart was consistent as he poured in 14 points, including a 12-14 mark on free-throw attempts. He also had five rebounds and one steal.

Sophomore Kenyatta Ruai had five rebounds, went 1-for-1 under the basket, and had two blocks and one steal of his own. Wesley Evans recorded a season-high 14 rebounds, added nine points and had one block and a steal. Ben Canevari dished out seven points and nine rebounds in addition to two blocks.

Frostburg State was led by James Peters, who scored 20 points. Nick Smoot contributed 19 points, while Kurt Gangler went 5-12 to add 10 points from the field.

Southern Virginia hits the road Saturday to face St. Mary's (Md.). Tipoff is scheduled for 5 p.m. in St. Mary's City, Md.