Frequently referred to as "The Barn," the Knight Sports Arena was first used as a riding arena for the highly successful equestrian program at Southern Seminary and has a proud history as an equestrian center.
In 1923 Southern Seminary built a temporary gymnasium as one of the first additions to its campus. Shortly thereafter, the gymnasium was converted to a horse barn, and added onto in 1936, 1940 and 1945.
In 1966, the Stanford Mish Indoor Riding Arena was built and dedicated. Between the years of 1979 and 1992, Southern Seminary became a nationally recognized competitor in intercollegiate riding, winning seven national and 13 regional championships.
The refurbished Knight Sports Arena was formally dedicated on
Sept. 24, 2002, and offers a seating capacity of 525, an NCAA
regulation size basketball floor—newly installed in August
2006, an indoor batting cage, locker rooms and office space for six
coaches. A 3,000 square-foot weight room, a training room and a
laundry facility are also housed within the building.
Men's and women's basketball, volleyball and wrestling compete in the Knight Sports Arena.