Incoming Freshmen and Continuing Students
- All incoming freshmen admitted to Southern Virginia University
will be eligible to participate in intercollegiate athletics.
- Continuing students must have completed 48 credits by their
junior year to remain eligible for athletic participation.
- Continuing students must be enrolled in at least 12 credits per
semester except for the semester immediately preceding graduation.
In the rare case that a scholar-athlete has met all graduation
requirements, but still has a remaining semester of athletic
eligibility, that scholar-athlete must be enrolled in a minimum
3-credit academic course in order to be eligible for athletic
- All continuing students must be in "good academic standing" in
order to participate in intercollegiate athletics. Good academic
standing is defined in the university catalog as
Students are responsible for
maintaining satisfactory academic performance. Any freshman or
sophomore who, at the end of any semester, has a cumulative
grade-point average below 1.80 is not in good academic standing.
Any junior or senior who, at the end of any semester, has a
cumulative grade-point average below 2.0 is not in good academic
- Transfer students must have been in good academic standing at
their previous institution in order to be eligible during their
first semester after transferring to Southern Virginia University.
In other words, transfer students must have been eligible to
compete in intercollegiate athletics under their previous
institution's eligibility standards.